Our fantastic paste-on horns are made from Ultralight polymer clay, and each one weighs no more than 10 grams (most are closer to 6 grams). That means that you can wear them all day, and as long as you’ve gotten the paste right, you won’t even notice they’re there. The first time we did a wear-test with the prototypes and our preferred prosthetic glue, DG forgot they were on at all and accidentally wore them into the shower – and they stayed on! That’s mostly due to the glue, but a heavier prosthetic would have come off in the hot water, too. What else weighs 10 grams? How about two 8mm screw bolts? A handful of gummi bears? Two nickels?
It’s officially official.
We’ve filed our DBA, gotten our taxes set up, and made all kinds of important arrangements for the business (boring) side of things.
Alchemias Art will be open for business very soon.
What kind of trouble are we getting into specifically? I’m glad you asked!
Alchemy is the magical art of turning something into something else of greater value. We take aluminum, plastic, and other discarded things and turn them into art, nerd supplies, and more. We partner with some awesome people to bring you even more great stuff like jewelry and nerd bags and accessories, because why hog all the fun?
To get started, though, we’re raising capital. Being the weirdos that we are, we’re going to avoid loans and go straight to you, our amazing audience, to get the ball rolling.
Stay tuned because starting next week, we’re going to have an entire store full of rare (and not-so-rare) comics. We’re liquidating our coveted collection for the greater good of our business, and we encourage you as comic fans and generally nerdy people to take advantage.
In case you missed it, take a gander at one of our prototype dragons:
Remember, these are only prototypes, but they’re coming along.
You’ll be able to find our stuff here, and we’ll keep a robust convention and festival schedule. Our calendar here will be updated regularly, and you can follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
It took some time around having to finish homework and kid things and then the stupid rain… but finally, we got the foundry finished and cured, and today we did our first test batch of aluminum!
This is a very basic, inexpensive foundry, mainly so that we can test our preferences. It’s a simple steel bucket with plaster of Paris and sand for the refractory, and that’s just normal household charcoal. The steel pipe is connected to a longer PVC pipe with a blow dryer at the end, acting as the bellows.
All told, we did about ten cans to start with. I have some excellent video footage of a few interim points (pulling the dross, pouring the molten aluminum), but those will have to wait until later. This is what we got out of them:
So, those ten cans came out to about 110 grams, which is about 11 grams per can. That’s not bad, considering most of my initial designs wouldn’t weigh more than 30 grams on the outside.
Now I need to run out and get lighter fluid so we can do it again tomorrow.
Things are happening! The polymer clay gets here tomorrow as well, so the proper sculpting can begin!